15 May 2006

Everyone

Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin"?
Proverbs 20:9

No one, actually. Not me at least. And while this may seem somewhat forward, I suspect not you either.

Christians throughout the centuries have believed this to be true. Our experience has taught us it is. We just know it.

And we know more than that too. We know that because of our sin Jesus died. Because of our failure we are in need of his grace.

We know it well...but often far too generally. You see, it's a much different thing to sigh softly and say that everyone has sinned than to say to yourself, "Here's what I did wrong. Here's what I messed up with."

Taking the time to admit that is necessary. It can save me from the pride of thinking I am perfect.

Taking the time to admit this to the people around us can allow us to really begin to be honest with one another and build mature relationships. And it can help us to see our sin in perspective.

While the mistakes we make can be serious and the comfort we may get from knowing that others have failed is only slight solace in the midst of life's storms, it is something. It is something to know that our mistakes-though often serious--are not the end of the world. That despite how guilty we might feel, we are not alone and never wholly irredeemable.

There are times when all of our hearts are not pure. When we are dirty. Dangerous and damaging times common to every human being.

But they are not the end of the story. Not the end of God's grace. And that's something I am sure of.

No comments: