07 April 2006

A Deeper Magic Still

"The heart has its reasons, of which the mind knows nothing."
-Blaise Pascal

A friend recently told me that he thinks I'm too emotional. Well, not exactly. I suppose what he was getting at was that I am too apt to put my whole self into things almost from the beginning.

This in his mind is a bad move...after all, doesn't it make sense to guard one's heart? To keep one's emotions in check? To stay within the specified lines of acceptable feeling?

I think he's partly right. The emotions each of us carry with us are powerful things. Amazingly powerful things. They can take us to the heights of joy and leave us in the depths of despair. They can divert our thoughts, throw us far off track, and lead us to exist in ways we never would have intended. They can hurt us and can hurt others in real and tangible ways that have lasting results.

But at the same time I know that talking about the dangers is only half of the story. Sure, remaining cautious and nonchalant about various matters speaks to a certain wisdom and works with a certain temperament...

...but that does not mean the same approach is appropriate for everyone at all times.

You see, putting my whole self into something is just who I am and is for me the most honest way that I can be myself. It is who God has made me. To constantly hedge my bets....well, that would not work for me.

It would be a cold and shallow half life, and a very dishonest one at that. In other words, to live without the chance to really feel doesn't seem like living at all.

Sure, being willing to let the whole power of our emotions speak to the facets of our lives may lead to problems at times--and these must always be guarded against--but for me the alternatives just aren't that attractive.

Poetry, song, art, inspiration, love, devotion, piety, service--these are things that are done and done best by those whose emotions are fully invested in life. The greatest hearts have thoughts that know no bounds.

And you know what? I'm convinced the world is so much richer because of them.


No comments: