13 April 2006

Thoughts of Suppers Past


We remember today the final meal Jesus shared with His disciples before the Crucifixion. The last time he broke bread with them. The fleeting moment all twelve of them were together in just that way.

I've been thinking about other "last times" today. Among those, I've been trying to remember the last time I ever saw my grandfather.

I think it was when I was heading off to college for my sophomore year. Before we said goodbye, he made sure to slip me some spending money. He would often do things like that. I was thankful for the money, but honestly gave it little extra thought. I certainly didn't know it was the last time we'd ever look at each other.

Yet there it was.

Over two years later I remember saying goodbye to all of my friends from college in the few passing moments that followed commencement. Taking pictures, hugging one another, holding back tears. We all knew it would never be the same again.

And there we were.

So too I well remember watching someone I cared about drive off slowly down the road for the last time. Something was very final about it...and I knew it.

For me, the Last Supper seems similar. It intrigues me.

Why? Well, I suspect it has to do with my own predilection for remembrance of things past. The way in which I think about final moments and "last times." Like some of those, this meal seems like a perfect moment...without a doubt the last the disciples would have before the events of that terrible weekend.

I'm not certain if all the disciples knew what was going on. The severity of it. Matter of fact, I'll bet they didn't. Yet things came and events took place.

And as they looked back later in life, I'll bet they knew. This particular supper? Ya, it was the last.

Jesus would return in glory, yes...and the disciples had God-given missions ahead of them. But still...it would was the last time all of them who had spent some much time together following Jesus around--even Judas--were together in just that way.

If we think hard enough, we know exactly what those bittersweet moments are like. We've had them, they carry a uniqueness to them that remains deeply meaningful...and they're gone.

Still, we remember them forever.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Nope, but it should be!!!