09 July 2006

Fire Works

Humility. It's good to get yourself acquainted with it.

I guess.

Tonight I had a rather humbling experience. I was hosting a meeting for some of our church's college students at the house, and (after some people had left and it was getting late) I decided to set off some fireworks. Why? Well...um...hard to say, really. Just thought it would be fun.

All well and good, I suppose. Until you realize that I live in a state where such things are illegal. But since my roommates had set some off on the 4th of July with no repercussions, I figured my lot would be the same as theirs.

Not so.

Apparently the neighbors were irritated enough the other night that the sound of fireworks tonight sent them over the edge. I can't blame two of them for chiding me for it. But it did sting.

It stung because I'm supposed to be smarter that that. Because I was embarrassed. Because others got to see how stupid I am occasionally. It was a mistake. And I hope I've learned from it. That's the desire no matter the misstep.

Not repeating this one will be fairly simple...

It's the others that I worry about sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Josh. . .tsk, tsk