27 July 2006

Speak Softly

While there are few things in this life that really get me fired up, the task of preaching--bringing the Word before God's people--is something about which I feel deeply. I just do.

In my mind, it's a unique moment in our world. It is a human endeavor, but it is a work of the Spirit. It is public, but it is not a performance. It is common, but never base....at least it shouldn't be.

And in our world of 130 television channels and ever-decreasing attention spans, it is the one time of the week that no channel surfing can occur. A time when we are called to listen and by the power of God to be transformed by the experience.

Which is why I often feel sad when I hear a sermon that smacks more of personal opinion or public chiding than anything else. Where instead of using the moment as a time of public instruction and discipleship it plows ahead critiquing without caution, failing to take into consideration the deeply held thoughts and feelings of those faithfully listening.

Some would say that preaching of this sort is necessary and part of what it means to call Christians to account. To a certain extent I agree. Our world would be a much better place if ministers would learn what it really means to challenge their flock and hold them accountable to the things of God.

The trouble is, I'm not sure that all "prophetic" preaching is really that. In many ways, I feel like more of it has to do with personal preference and an unwillingness to walk slowly with a congregation as God works His change in them in His time. But still...it's an easy mistake for a preacher to make--one which I have been guilty of myself.

As with anything, to jump wildly ahead to a place far beyond is difficult, but at the same time rewarding. Yet to ask those around you to do the same? Often impossible.

And while God is amazingly skilled at working the impossible, I'm not convinced the swift and steady transformation is always His way. Sometimes seeing something new takes time. Sometimes God needs to bring us through certain pathways before we can be transformed. Sometimes we simply need someone to understand where we are before asking us to jump into the unknown. Which is why preachers often need to take things slow.

Yes, prophets are needed. But so are pastors. If somehow these two realities could be held together at all times, preaching might just--by the power of the Spirit--be the thing it is meant to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only we could all walk slowly with our congregations. I preached at church wednesday night about my travels in Israel. The joy of finding God's words for a moment is so fulfilling and yet so challenging. Great Blog, Josh. I hope all is well in Princeton and Ph.D. land.

--Laura

Josh said...

Thanks, Laura.

The summer is a nice respite from studies...and it's been good to spend more time in ministry these past months.

Good to hear from you. I hope all is well with you too!

-JZ