01 August 2005

The Bible Code

Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
Ecclesiastes 12:12





Sometimes in our desire to be relevant to today's culture and gain a greater understanding of our faith, we Christians read a lot of books.

We turn to books about faith, books about theology, devotionals, spiritual writings, and others in an attempt to understand what God is saying to us in the Scripture.

It makes sense. As the body of Christ, we live in a community of fellow believers--whether we know them or not. We want to learn from others to whom God has spoken. It's natural.

I've been excited myself to recently read the work of Donald Miller, Lauren Winner, and Henri Nouwen. Each has spoken to me in a powerful way and I recommend their writing to everyone.

But there is a danger. A danger that I know far too well as a theological student and minister. A danger that from a certain point of view looks completely safe, yet upon extended inspection reveals itself for what it is.

It is the danger of leaving the Bible behind. It comes about innocently enough, often because of a desire to utilize the writing of others to learn more about God. To grow in faith. To be relevant to today's generation. Yet slowly but surely, I can begin to completely ignore the reason I engaged in these enterprises in the first place and the center around which they must revolve.

I'm not trying to be old-fashioned or anti-intellectual or anything of that nature. I love books. The walls of my room at my parents' house are lined with them.

I want and need to read how others have experienced God's love and His Scripture and walked with Him through life. As a matter of fact, someone just recommended a book or two to me yesterday that I'm hoping to check out.

But if I do this without consistently being immersed in the Scripture and letting it speak to me, it all amounts to nothing.

It is like shopping at the store to buy ingredients for which I have no recipe. Like building the second floor of a house without the first. Like pouring water into a paper cup with no bottom.


Maybe those legendary old churchladies reading nothing but the Bible had it right. Maybe to be a vital Christian we don't have to try to be theologically profound or contemporarily relevant.

Maybe we just have to read the Bible again and again, not looking it like a textbook or trying to find easy answers but asking God's help and illumination and getting to know it like the back of our hands.

More and more, I'm becoming convinced that's what is needed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your thoughts Brother. Books are a mans best friend.
But the "Divine Library" is the Best one. Lets add some normal reading of the Bible to our daily habits.