20 August 2005

My Pal John Wesley

At least according to this quiz. Basically put, it is a series of questions designed to determine one's theological worldview (within the larger umbrella of Christian understanding). There are a lot of questions, and I went through it rather quickly...but this is what I came out with:

You scored as Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan. You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavily by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan

75%

Emergent/Postmodern

68%

Neo orthodox

57%

Classical Liberal

54%

Modern Liberal

50%

Charismatic/Pentecostal

46%

Reformed Evangelical

43%

Fundamentalist

39%

Roman Catholic

32%

I suppose I'm happy with where I came out. Though I think some of the questions designed to indicate Charismatic or Pentecostal belief were a little skewed.

This is, I suppose, a little more substantial than finding out if you are Mr. Spock or Gandalf...but a pleasant exercise all the same.

At any rate, the widespread nature of the questions asked have given me some pause to wonder how wide the net of the faith might be cast. What essentials are essential? How am I to determine which things include or exclude someone from the faith, or from the "most appropriate" form of faith?

Should I even be trying to draw so many complicated lines? For if we confess that Jesus is Lord and have faith in Him...how much does the rest matter?

Part of me says it does a lot. But part of me is pretty easy going about the whole thing.

It's an open question.

1 comment:

miguelito said...

Josh,

I think it might be important to remember, that we really can’t think of anyone’s walk as static. Our Walks with our Father are just that, they are always moving, always changing. We are always learning new things, discovering, getting to know Him better. I think the important question is not whether someone is “right” or “wrong” or even if they have down the “fundamentals.” The important thing is, are they searching, and if yes, where are they searching. How can I show them that God loves them? How can I help them in their search? What is God telling them? None of us have it “right.” But if we seek, we shall find.