04 August 2005

Vocation Vacation


**I'm currently reading through Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life. I think a lot of my thoughts in coming weeks may derive from this experience.**

In the past few months, I've really been praying and seeking God's will in my life. For any who have done the same, you know it is a complicated process.

As time has progressed there has been some resolution to my own questions....which believe me, is a very good thing.

The idea of calling has been important to me through this process. What am I called by God to do? Am I called to minister in a church? Am I called to pursue academic work? Should I join the circus as one of those clowns that fit into the little car?

Questions like these.

But calling is much more than that. It is not only ministers and church workers who are called by God to do things. It is everyone. Yes, that means you.

The callings that we have will vary differently, just as we are each unique individuals. But each of us in our vocation (coming from the Latin vocare, "to call") can serve God and work at His purposes in the world. The specifics will figure themselves out, but we know what's what.

Love. Peace. Worship. Forgiveness. Service. Action.

And while we may feel our jobs are not necessarily callings as important as that which takes place in the rest of our life, I will say that even seemingly dull occupations can be placed in our lives to fulfill callings all their own.

Martin Luther once said that “A dairymaid can milk cows to the glory of God.” If that's true, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Whatever our calling, it also is a great responsibility. There's no denying that. The Creator of the universe has basically asked us to do something.

But at the same time this is a great blessing. For if we know God's calling on our life, we can also rejoice in the fact that we're not alone in all of this...that God has made us for this purpose, whether it seems "big" or "small."

That God will take us beyond our own weaknesses and fears by His power.

This, I think, is vocation.

Here I am Lord, Is it I Lord?
I have heard You calling in the night.
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart
"Here I am Lord"

No comments: