15 July 2005

Josh Meets "Girl Meets God"


I'm currently reading through a book entitled Girl Meets God. It's sort of a contemporary memoir of a young woman who converts from Orthodox Judaism to Christianity. Though only about 50 pages in so far, it seems to be an open and honest look at how she grew--and is growing--to hear God's voice.

As she speaks of her gradual move to faith, author Lauren F. Winner reminds us of God's plan:

"that is how the clues God leaves sometimes work. Sometimes nothing comes of them. Sometimes, as in a great novel, you cannot see until you get to the end that God was leaving clues for you all along. How did I miss it? Surely any idiot should have been able to see from the second chapter that it was Miss Scarlet in the conservatory with a rope."

With apologies to CLUE, I know that she's right. Though there are--thankfully--moments in which we discover God's will in the midst of our journey, there are many other moments when we do not. The ways in which God molds and shapes and direct us are often impossible for us to understand--or even know--while they are happening. But they are happening, and happening for a reason.

It's not something that can be logically explained or systematically described. I'm not sure it should be. It's more like a song, or a poem, or a painting--things with layers and ripples and nooks and crannies that require a great deal of effort to appreciate. Only when we have spend time looking at all of it and immersing ourselves in it can we start to see the beauty behind it all.

Though I feel in my heart that God is beginning to show me the path forward in some definite ways, I don't understand it all. Even the clarity I am beginning to see is only one part of a much bigger puzzle.

To put it a different way, I don't know exactly where this song is going...but something about the tune makes me smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you're reading this book:) I had a opportunity to hear Lauren Winner speak at an event in NYC called Socrates in the City (they've had speakers such as Oz Guiness and other notable thinkers). As you pointed out, I'm impressed by her honesty. It's exciting to me to hear and read a voice from our generation that is asking the same questions many of us are pondering. I encourage you (and your readers) to also read her book Real Sex, which is the best book on chastity and sexuality I've seen; it is much better than anything given to us during pre-marital counseling. If you read it, I would love to hear your thoughts.
On a different note...your thoughts are compelling, and I'm glad to read them and the comments from other dear friends. Tim and I are glad to know you are well:)

Josh said...

Hey Melissa,

Glad to hear you're enjoying Miss Winner's thoughts as well. I really like her thoughts and find in many ways a kindred soul in a lot of what she writes. Who would have thought? An Orthodox Jew and a German! Isn't the Kingdom of God awesome.

Tell Tim I say hi! Good to hear from you.