13 July 2005

Just Stuff

We did something a little different for the youth meeting tonight. Only a few showed up, so we went for ice cream and then had our meeting outside on Nassau Street (on the steps of Nassau Presbyterian Church, no less!) ----->
s
It was nice to be outside for a change of pace. Plus, it really made me think about our calling to be witnesses in the world. Praising God in the open air with the acoustic guitar and sharing from God's Word.
s
That's what its all about.
s
This week's youth lesson is taken from the passage in Luke 12:13-21 referred to as "The Parable of the Rich Fool." A man spends all his time planning to store his possessions, only to find out that his life is ending that very night.

Lots of stuff clutters our life. Lots of possessions. For instance, do you know how many hours I've wasted watching DVDs? Acquiring used books? Buying junk nobody needs? Not to mention the intangible things that keep us from truly living our lives and truly living for God.

I can't help but be reminded of the recent movie American Beauty. In the film, a suburban couple have reached middle age and face some huge problems in their relationship. At one point, the husband seems to attempt a kind of reconciliation and kisses his wife in their living room. In response, she becomes alarmed that he might spill the glass of wine he's holding.


Upon realizing that the condition of a sofa--maybe the maintenance of the status quo--was more important to her than beginning to rebuild their tattered marriage, the husband utters the following:

"This isn't life, it's just stuff. And it's become more important to you than living. Well, honey, that's just nuts."

I think he's right. When anything gets in the way of really, honestly living...that's nuts.
s
For me, living most truly means that "To live is Christ and to die is gain." When I let anything get in the way of truly living for God, praying, studying the Scriptures, loving my neighbors and enemies and showing Christ's love...well, that's not just nuts.
s
Its tragic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh I think this is a great idea and I appreciated your thought for today. When I was in Africa I encountered a very different mentality toward wealth and material gain. The people I met people there had scant possesions but had more contentment than most people I come in contact with daily. I learned that wealth can be either having much or wanting little. What a great mistake we make when we emulate the rich fool.

Josh said...

Thanks Mike.

Just some things I'm beginning to realize. As the saying goes, "To whom much is given, much is required." It's amazing to think how much we have when compared to the rest of the world...and how easily it takes us from where we should be.

It's been too long, friend. Tell Sara I say hello.

Anonymous said...

It has been too long. But I must say it is great to hear from you. I hope all is well and look forward to talking more.