19 July 2005

Sunrise/Sunset

Today while in Huntington, West Virginia I helped my friend Josh with a charity project. During our time on the site, we met a young man of 17 who was getting ready to begin his first year at Ohio State University.

I commented to Josh that it's been 7 years since I faced the same situation. Seven long years.

The world looked different then. I looked different then. As I've journeyed along the way, time and Providence have molded me, expanded my horizons, and brought both joy and pain.

There's a quotation from a television show I have enjoyed watching in the past. In it, an old ruler nearing the end of life utters the following phrase:


"The past tempts us, the present confuses us and the future frightens us..."

I'm kind of sentimental. Sometimes I like to think what would have happened and what would happen still had I gone back and done things over the past 7 years a little differently. What would have happened if I did things over again...

It might be fun.

But God in His wisdom does not allow this to happen. I don't know why, but I know it must be for a good reason. I am given now, right now. Perhaps when Jesus spoke of not worrying about tomorrow, he also meant not to worry about yesterday either. After all, as he said, today has enough troubles and concerns of its own.

My friend Josh told me it was an exciting time for the young man we met today. I agree. I remember how it was for me.

And even though I cannot now see as much of that excitement as I had in the summer of 1998, I'm certain there's probably some of that giddy youthful exuberance left somewhere.

The present may confuse us, but at least I can trust in the One whole controls all of life. After all, what'll happen in seven more years?

No comments: