13 July 2005

Pictures of You


A lengthy conversation in the past week has made me reflect on two different pictures.

One of them used to hang in my home church. It's called Der Breite und der Schmale Weg, a visual depiction of Jesus' reflection on the wide and narrow roads in Matthew 7:13-14. I rescued it from being thrown away, reframed it, and its been a part of my life ever since. Though sometimes I don't look at it as closely as I should, it's a reminder to me.



The second picture is Rembrandt's The Return of the Prodigal Son. I guess as much as the wide and narrow ways have been with me all this time, Rembrandt's depiction of Jesus' parable has been with author Henri Nouwen even longer. In his book about the painting, he takes the reader on a spiritual journey through the story, the picture, and Rembrandt's life as well as his own.

We are the younger rebellious son. We are the older, resentful son. We all must turn to the Father who only has love and seek to be that love to others.


Grace and responsibility. Our duty to God and His love that transcends anything we do. It's confusing and comforting and crazy all at once.

Maybe we're just as lost walking the narrow way as the wide way if we do so without looking to Him. The younger son walked a broad and dangerous path that did him harm. The older son walked a much narrower one, but at the same time he did, he did it alone. Though his brother lived a life free of the rules and principles that would keep him safe, it may be that the older son lived a cold life, devoid of anything but rules and regulations.

Both needed the love of their Father to set them on the truest way.

Maybe admitting our need for this love and learning to live in it is the narrowest path of all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh,

Andy and I read Nouwen's book last year and both loved it. We had many deep discussions about his ideas and it has profoundly changed my life. The concept of God as the ever-seeking Father is so beautiful. His favor extending to all those who turn to Him - both the older and the younger son. I have found that to be true on a daily basis. He is just waiting to bless, looking for me to turn from what i think will fulfill me to what truly will - intimacy with Him. For Andy's graduation I bought him a print of Rembrandt's painting - it's so beautiful!!
Thanks for the thoughts, friend!
Christine Engert
PS: Have you read either of the Donald Miller books ("Blue Like Jazz" and "Searching for God Knows What")? I highly recommend them!!

Josh said...

Thanks so much Christine.

I really needed to hear what God was saying through Nouwen, which is why when I read it over the past few days God really began working on me. It's amazing how easily we can get distracted with STUFF.

I'll definitely check out those books you mentioned.

Blessings to you, Andy and the little one!

Anonymous said...

Josh and Christine -

I'm with you on this--Nouwen's "The Return of the Prodigal Son" is compelling and beautiful, as is Rembrandt's painting. I sat before Rembrandt's masterpiece in The Hermitage museum one afternoon (St. Petersburg, Russia) and found it difficult to leave its presence.

And as for Donald Miller's books--I read "Blue Like Jazz" at Christmastime and am just finishng up "Searching for God Knows What." I second Christine's recommendations for these fantastic books. :) (Speaking of Christine--congratulations! What's your little one's name and when was s/he born? I need details! :)

It's good to be back in communication with some long lost Houghtonites--I miss you all dearly!

Maria

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh,

The first painting, Der Breite und der Schmale Weg, really is a great one. Matthew 7:13-14 has always stood out to me, though I don't really know exactly why.

And The Phantom Tollbooth is one of my personal favorites also. Great book from back in the day.

See you tonight,
Ian

Josh said...

Ian,

I was almost going to speak about Matthew 7:13-14 tonight and the youth meeting, but changed my mind. Did you know the English portion of the picture is hanging in the church foyer?

-Josh