23 July 2005

The Second Time Around

If I was only able to select four books of the Bible to have for the rest of my life, it would probably go something like this: Psalms, one of the gospels, Romans, and Deuteronomy.

My NIV Study Bible tells me that the word Deuteronomy means "repetitition of the law."

Rather than look it up, I'm just going to take their word for it.

I like this book. Moses is reminding his people of their calling and relationship with God in the waning years of his life, recalling the covenant God made with those gathered before him.

Basically, a few last words before Moses is to go up and die on Mount Nebo.

I don't think I realized how much I liked this book until I started reading through it recently.

It's moving because you can just imagine Moses gearing up one last time to tell the story, one last time to remind all Israel of what they are.

The word remember appears 16 times in the book of Deuteronomy. Remember you were slaves in Egypt. Remember what God did for you. Remember the days of old.

It's all there, calling the wandering sons and daughters of Abraham to look back as they looked forward to a Promised Land. In many ways, without their memory of God's work, they were nothing. No people, no calling, no assurances, no faith. Just a group of ragtag wanderers.

They needed to remember.

To call this book a "repetition of the law" seems a bit underwhelming, for it is so much more than that. It is an invitation to remember with one's soul, to remember with one's heart...to see all things through the eyes of faith.

I need to remember, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh,
That is some good food for thought.
I just makes me think of the ten commandents being removed out of state buildings and court houses these days, these commandents were given by God for us to remeber his law. It is quite upsetting, but I know them in my heart and remember them daily. See Ya soon.

Josh said...

Thanks for your note, Matt.

And here I thought you were going to comment on the Indiana Jones post!

I'll be in town this weekend (from Thursday till Sat/Sun). Hope to see you then, Junior!